If your house has been damaged in a fire, safety should be the first thing on your mind. Often times there will be standing water from the fire department putting out the fire. With that comes the risk of slipping and falling as well as potential electrical issues. If you suspect that there is any chance your home is not safe to stay in, please make other arrangements. Your health and well-being should be your first priority.
USA Restoration Pros understands that suffering fire damage to your home and can be a traumatic and difficult thing to deal with. You may be emotional and unsure what to do first. To help you out we have put together a list of Fire Damage Restoration Cost Do’s and Don’ts that you should follow after a fire.
- Try to keep it clean. Don’t walk through or touch the damaged areas of the house as you will likely track soot and debris into other parts of the house. You might lay towels, linens or rugs down in clean areas of the home to avoid damaging carpets or floors as you walk on them.
- If your electricity has been shut off, empty your refrigerator and freezer then leave the door propped open.
- You can wash the leaves on your houseplants to help remove any soot or smoke that may be on them.
- Change any HVAC filters in the house and tape cheesecloth over your air registers. The odds are there are small bits of material from the fire in your air ducts. The filter and cheesecloth will catch them. After a few days you can remove the cheesecloth and replace the filter again.
- Don’t attempt to clean any electrical appliance or item that may have been damaged without consulting a professional. If there is water inside the item it may be very dangerous.
- Don’t scrub walls or shampoo the carpets as you clean. There are specialized formulas we use to clean smoke, soot, water and fire damaged areas. If you scrub with regular soap you may do more harm than good.
- Don’t eat any food that may have been exposed to the fire.
- If the ceiling is wet, don’t turn on any lights or ceiling fixtures. The wiring may be damaged and it could cause another fire.
- Wait to send clothes to any cleaner. Smoke damaged clothes need to be cleaned using a special process or the smoke smell will not come out.
By following these simple Do’s and Don’ts you will keep yourself and your family safe and you will be one step ahead as USA Restoration Pros steps in to professionally clean and restore your home.